Monday, August 2, 2010

The average day in my house









5:30 am
     Mum walks in and begins to holler at us for sleeping to deeply. We as usual wait for her recitation on how we as good Muslim children should always wake up on reflex when we hear the call to prayer. Mu sisters and I just chill and we take the moment to steal some sleep cuz she’s gonna be there for the next five minutes.
5:35 am
     As if on cue, we both look up and tell her, “were not sleeping, we’ve heard you ma”. That is her signal for exiting. Now the problem begins me and my sis both would love to catch a few more minutes of sleep, so we stare at each other mentally willing the other to get up and use the bathroom first. I win in most cases (Imma bad girl)
5:40 am
     I’m up. I say my prayers and stumble back into bed reminding myself not to sleep late again so I can wake up early for morning prayers the next day. (P.S:I’ve been doing that since may). Back to sleep land.
8:00 am
     Aargh, this is one of the reasons I hate dad being at home. Having to wake up and make his breakfast by that time. The man too dey chop sef. Ah-han! Trust me, I don’t stand up on my own, mummy has to come and wake me up...again. This time, it takes me nearly 20 minutes to get up because its like as soon as I make an attempt to leave the bed, sleep just slaps me on the face-HARD and pushes me right back in. This is not a joke, it feels exactly that way. Ok not a slap, more like holding my neck and shoving me among the sheets. At least I get up, I didn’t lie to her that I was having cramps so my sister would do all the work that day. Now that is not meanness, I’m just helping her discover her home keeping potential. I’m such a good sister!
10:00 am
     Nearly everyone is done with breakfast. Now the mini-drama starts. Who to wash the dishes. My immediate younger sister (Il call her mimi for now) and the last born (Il call her riri). Mimi says she cant wash the plates cuz she washed dinner last night. Riri counters her argument by saying she already told mimi since they woke up that she was gonna wash dinner plates today, therefore mimi has to wash breakfast. As for me, I’m just laughing because, I AINT WASHING NO PLATES! Serves them right. This was how I used to feel when mummy used to tell me they were too small and I would do all the washing then. Good luck girls!
12:00
     THE PLATES ARE STILL UNTOUCHED. Lol. This people think I’m gonna play the elder sister card and be sympathetic or simply get irritated at their petty arguments and wash it for em. LIE!!! I know how to play the game too. Il be chilling with my movies girls!. NO SYMPATHY!!
12:30 noon
     Seeing as they have no choice, one of em gives in. By, now tis time to prepare daddy’s lunch.  Will he just have a gastric bypass for heaven’s sake or just go on a friggin diet!
1:30 pm
     Mamma drama: mummy comes in and starts to holler...again? yes..again. This time its about how she doesn’t fathom three girls who have not takes baths since morning. Yes o. That’s what three months of a messed up vacation can do to you. The good news is, we always shower before the day ends. Then she takes time to give out fresh orders which she repeats bout a billion times that change your mood from annoyance to amusement. She sure uses those vocal cords. She will not stop until we get our asses up and do whatever it is. Even then, she might squeeze in a few more.
3:00 pm
     Bath time. Im in the bathroom musing bout how lack of activity has given me some extra weight. Damn you Hollywood for making slim the it thing. I remind myself that as soon as I get to school and start being active, itl all go away..I hope.
**The next 45 minutes is spread between shower time for three girls**
4:00pm
     Mummy comes to remind us to pray. Prayer’s said, we surf the net, or watch a movie. Since mum and dad are constantly hogging the t.v all day long, our only source of fun is the internet and our laptops..thank God for laptops o. When I pass, dad tells me he has never seen me reading since I got home. Mentally, I’m like dude..I’m in uni, I change my courses every semester with no idea what the course topics are..abi should I carry any statistics textbook I see and start solving? wtf?
5:30 pm
     Dinner preparations..again..mern It aint easy. Lunch plates are washed without any hassling. Thank God. I go out and get the next season of whatever series it is i’m currently hooked on to. (just concluded smallville btw on to the hills). The rest of the day is free...
6:30
     If PHCN are feeling queasy, the generator comes on. And mummy finds a new issue to holler about. Mimi not doing something, or she reminding riri to get her clothes from the line.
7:00pm
     Prayer time..and yes mummy is in action again.
8:00pm
     Serve dad’s meal and go back to using my trusty sidekick (laptop). I’m thinking of naming her the way boys name cars..petunia maybe? Heck no
**no hassles again till bed time where I remind myself to sleep on time**
**..yeah right... like I ever listen to that**
** God I love my family**




No comments:

Post a Comment